Cannabidiol, or CBD for short, is a compound that comes from Hemp plant. Unlike other compounds that are derived from cannabis, CBD is not believed to be psychoactive and therefore is said to not affect perception or behavior (Consumerlab.com). Some studies have shown that CBD may be able to reduce levels of anxiety, movement disorders, seizures, pain, glaucoma.
The use of the hemp plant to create medicine dates back to 1500 BC in India, China, and the Middle East. In 1800, Queen Victoria was prescribed cannabis for menstrual pain. From 1850-1937, the U.S. Pharmacopoeia has cannabis listed as the primary medication to treat over 100 illnesses and diseases.
Although items that contain THC are still widely illegal in many states in America, CBD is now legal as long as the THC level is less than 0.3% (Consumerlab.com). Now, although CBD cannot be sold as a dietary supplement, many CBD products are available such as oils, capsules, and CBC waters. What many people do not know is that the FDA has issued warning letters to many companies that are currently selling products that claims to contain CBD. Many of these companies were selling products that did not contain the amount of CBD that was advertised. Some of these products contained tiny concentrations of CBD (around 0.0025%) while others contained the same amount as some clinical trials (200 mg per day) In addition, there is concern that many of these CBD products currently on the market are tainted with pesticides and heavy metals. This lack of regulation for CBD products has allowed companies to make ridiculous and inaccurate claims on what CBD can “cure”, and has created a “Wild West” environment.
Due to the positive findings in the preliminary studies as well as the concerns from the FDA, it is important as a consumer to know what to watch out for, but also how CBD might be helpful to you or someone in your family. Here are some benefits of CBD:
- The reason why these oils do not typically contain much CBD is because hempseed oil naturally contains very little CBD (Consumerlab.com). CBD is not commonly found within the seed and is instead found in the flowers and the leaves of the hemp plant. Because of this, most “CBD oil” products that claims to contain CBD must have added an extract from the hemp flowers.
- CBD does have some notable side effects and safety concerns, and has known to interact with certain conditions and medications. High doses of CBD (around 20 mg per kg of body weight) have the potential to cause a decrease in appetite, vomiting, fatigue, fever, and diarrhea. A dose of 300 mg has been shown to decrease many of the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. CBD also has been found to potentially negatively enhance the side effects of sedatives and sleep-inducing medications. Finally, CBD has been found to increase the blood serum levels in those also taking antiepileptic drugs (Consumerlab.com).
- CBD has pain-relieving effects and that it can help reduce chronic pain that is impacting endocannabinoid system (ECS) in the human body which is involved in regulating sleep, appetite, pain, and immune system responses (Neuro endocrinology letters). CBD interacts with these receptors and reduced inflammation and interacting neurotransmitters.
- CBD has the potential to benefit heart health. Recent studies have shown that there are several benefits for the heart and circulatory system, one of which being CBD’s ability to lower high blood pressure. This research claims that CBD can be used as a natural and effective way to treat high blood pressure. This is due to CBD’s stress and anxiety reducing properties.
- CBD could reduce anxiety and depression. CBD has been shown to successfully treat social anxiety, cognitive impairment and discomfort during speech performances. In addition, CBD has been used to treat insomnia and children that have been diagnosed with PTSD (The Permanente Journal). I do not suggest to give CBD to children because there is no research in children. Children’s brains are developing and vulnerable to substances. THC interferes with the development of the brains memory centers. CBD also has been shown to have anti-depressant like effects in several studies involving animals. CBD has also been linked to the ability to act on the brain’s receptors for serotonin, which is why it is able to help regulate mood and social behavior.
- Next, CBD has been shown to help alleviate Cancer-related treatment symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and pain (The Journal of Clinical Oncology). Although there are drugs that can help with these side effects, they can sometimes be ineffective. One study even found that CBD had the ability to inhibit the spread of aggressive breast cancer in the cells of mice. However, more studies need to be conducted on humans before any definitive conclusions can be made.
- CBD can be used to reduce acne due to its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to reduce sebum production (The Journal of Clinical Investigation). This is because CBD oil has been found to prevent the sebaceous glands from secreting excessive sebum and exerted anti-inflammatory actions.
With all of these potential benefits, it is easy to see why one would want to buy CBD. My suggestion is that prior to making your first CBD oil purchase, you know what to look for to insure you are purchasing the best product. CBD Oil Review has 7 tips for Buying CBD products but I believe these are the most important 5:
- Check the THC Content – make sure you to check the laws in your state!
- Read the ingredients – You want to avoid products that contain potentially harmful ingredients such as propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin.
- Familiarize Yourself with CBD Terminology – Know the difference between the terms “CBD isolate”, “Full spectrum CBD” and “Broad spectrum CBD”
- Determine the Dosage – You will want to know how much to take and how long each dose will last you.
- Ask for purity gas chromatography results. If they cannot provide, do not buy or use.
American Shaman is a company that I have done research in which you can buy online or go to one of their stores in Houston. I have found the 1960 store and Cypress store particularly helpful. CBD from these stores have tremendously helped my Arthritis. My pain is gone!
Protect yourself and your family – be knowledgeable before buying!